Youth Week is usually held at the beginning of Term 2.
Youth Week aims to create a society that values young people and affirms their diversity. The week highlights the amazing things young people do all year. Young people are those aged 12-24.
Youth Week's vision is: "A country where young people are vibrant and optimistic through being supported and encouraged to take up challenges".
Youth Week is about encouraging young people's participation and connections to their communities.
Each year during Youth Week there are events organised by young people, and those who work with young people, all over New Zealand. Events encourage young people to get involved, have a say, influence opinions, showcase their creativity and talent, share ideas, access information and have fun! Youth Week is also a time to acknowledge youth workers, youth service providers and others working with and for young people.
Youth week aims to:
- Encourage young people to present their talents, share ideas and focus on the positive aspects of being young
- Recognise young people's contribution to the community
- Promote information and services available to youth
- Raise the profile of youth projects
- Provide an opportunity for discussion of youth issues